83 Squadron

Strike to defend Badge: An attire. The red deer’s antler is in reference to the squadron’s association with Scotland. The attire has six points commemorating an outstanding occasion in the First World War when six DFCs were awarded for one operation. The antler in black affords reference to night flying and the three top points […]

50 Squadron

Sic fidem servamus – (Thus we keep faith) Badge: A sword in bend severing a mantle palewise. This unit formed at Dover and adopted a mantle being severed by a sword to show itsconnection with that town, the arms of which include St. Martin and the beggar with whom he divided his cloak. The mantle […]

44 (Rhodesia) Squadron

Fulmina regis iusta – (The King’s thunderbolts are righteous) Badge: On a mount an elephant. Based upon the seal of Lo Bengula, the chief of the Matabeles on conquest. The seal shows an elephant which, in the case of this unit, is intended to indicate heavy attacks. Formed at Hainault Farm, Essex, on 24th July […]

35 (XXXV) Squadron

Uno animo agimus – (We act with one accord) Badge: A horse’s head winged. The badge commemorates co-operation with the Calvary during the First World War. Formed on 1 February 1916 at Thetford, Norfolk, from a nucleus flight of No.9 (Reserve) Squadron, RFC. Equipped with Vulcans in December 1962 at Coningsby, moving to Cottesmore in […]

27 Squadron

Quam celerrime ad astra – (With all speed to the Stars) Badge: An elephant – approved by HM King Edward VIII in October 1936. The badge was based on an unofficial emblem first used in 1934 and commemorates the Squadron’s first operational aircraft – the Martinsyde G100 ‘Elephant’ – and the unit’s long sojourn to […]

12 (B) Squadron

Leads the Field Badge: A fox’s mask – approved by King George VI in February 1937. Based on a suggestion when the squadron was equipped with the Fairey Fox, an aircraft of which they were proud and the sole operators. Formed on 14 February 1915 at Netheravon from a nucleus of crew and aircraft provided […]

617 Squadron

Aprés moi, le déluge – (After me, the flood) Badge: On a roundel, a wall in fesse, fracted by three flashes of lightning in pile and issuant from the breach water proper – approved by King George VI in March 1944. The broken dam is indicative of the successful attack on the Rhur dams in […]

9 Squadron

Per noctem volamus – (Throughout the night we fly) Badge: A bat – approved by King Edward VIII in November 1936 as an authorised version of a badge highlighting the Squadron’s night-bombing duties. Formed at St Omer, France on 8 December 1914 by renaming the Wireless Flight of the RFC Headquarters. Equipped with the Vulcan […]

101 Squadron

Mens agitat molem – (Mind over matter) Badge: Issuant from the battlements of a tower, a demi lion rampant guardant – approved by King George VI in February 1938. The battlements symbolise the Squadron’s pioneering role in the development of power-operated gun turrets, while the lion indicates the unit’s fighting power and spirit. Formed at […]

230 OCU

No. 230 Operational Conversion Unit was first created on 15 Mar 1947 at RAF Lindholme, by re-designation of No. 1653 Heavy Conversion Unit RAF, to convert crews onto the Avro Lancaster, Avro Lincoln and de Havilland Mosquito bombers. This unit was disbanded on 15 August 1952 to become the Reserve Training