Quam celerrime ad astra – (With all speed to the Stars)
Badge: An elephant – approved by HM King Edward VIII in October 1936. The badge was based on an unofficial emblem first used in 1934 and commemorates the Squadron’s first operational aircraft – the Martinsyde G100 ‘Elephant’ – and the unit’s long sojourn to India.
Formed at Hounslow on 5 November 1915 from a nucleus provided by No. 24 Squadron. Equipped with Vulcans at Scampton in April 1961