Completed on 29 September 1962 and fitted with Olympus 201 engines. Blue Steel modified. Served with: 83 Squadron October 1962 (Scampton Wing), 617 Squadron September 1969, 27 Squadron March 1971, 230 OCU June 1972, 617 Squadron July 1972, 230 OCU September 1972, 27 Squadron January 1974, 230 OCU August 1976, IX Squadron May 1977, 50 Squadron April 1981, IX squadron October 1981, 44 Squadron June 1982. Delivered to Macrihanish, Scotland for crash rescue training on 13 august 1982 as no.(8756M). Scrapped 1986.
Avro Vulcan serial number XH558 was ordered under a MoD contract placed in September 1954.
XH558 was completed at Avro’s Woodford factory in 1960 and was first flown on 25 May that year.
The aircraft was finally completed on 30 June and on the 1 July XH558 became the first Vulcan B Mk.2
to enter RAF service at RAF Waddington.
In 1946 the Air Ministry drew up requirements for bombers to replace the existing piston-engine heavy bombers such as the Avro Lancaster and the Avro Lincoln. The Air Staff Operational Requirement OR.229 was for ‘a medium-range bomber landplane capable of carrying one 10,000 lb bomb to a target 1,500 nautical miles from a base which […]